Friday, July 10, 2009

The Weekend Is Here...I'm Happy and Scared

The weekend is usually a time for celebration and relaxation. The work week is over for most people, the weather usually cooperates and brings the most sun, and people are generally in better moods and more willing to participate in various shenanigans.

But for me, and perhaps others venturing out on the diet journey, it can be a scary couple of days. The weekend can bring out some seriously tempting foods, especially in the summer. Lots of grilling outdoors, lots of parties with food, lots of late-night fourth meals. It can be extremely intimidating to dieters...one bad weekend, and you might fall off the diet wagon.

During previous dieting escapades, I would have a great week of eating healthy. But then there would be some sort of party or spontaneous get together on a Saturday. I would arrive and see the appetizers all neatly laid out, and I'd stare longingly for a few minutes, but I would eventually snap out of it and try to distract myself by talking or drinking water. Then the pizza arrived, or the lasagna/stuffed shells were done cooking, or the burgers were done grilling. I would tell myself, I gotta eat something...so why not one small piece?

Bad idea. I turned into Food Hulk, or Frankenfood, or Foodenstein, or Foodzilla, or [insert scary food-eating monster here]. I would eat that small piece, but then I would follow it up with a large piece, which would be followed by four more large pieces, which would be followed by all those appetizers that I didn't eat earlier, which would be followed by multiple desserts. I would eat as much as I could possibly fit, without looking stupid or weird.

The recovery day (usually Sunday) would be a wash. I would feel so bad about my food craziness that I would eat terribly all day. All that hard work during the week was wasted: I'd go to weigh myself on Monday morning for Weight Watchers, and I wouldn't lose any weight, or worse, I would have gained some. All because of that Saturday. One day.

So, as the weekend approaches, I'm trying to remind myself of my past food craziness, and I'll hopefully keep things in check. I have a weekend that includes a birthday party and a Red Sox game. Sounds like a daunting task...but I believe I'll make it through, hopefully avoiding that dreaded recovery day.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

I have complete faith in you Scott!!!!! You're going to make that marathon!!!!!

Rob S said...

Be careful at the sox game Scott. I know you like a nice big sausage!!!! You dirty bugger!!!!

Rob said...

That may have been insensitive of me, I am very sorry. I hang my head in shame!!

Scott said...

Not insensitive at all, Rob. I like sausages, but in a food kind of way, not in any other way. ;-)

Anonymous said...

"Frankenfood" might be my new favorite word.

I have a really tough time with stuff like this too. My big thing now is that on Fridays, on my way home from work, I listen to health-related podcasts. My current fave is "Fat 2 Fit Radio" and it's free on Itunes. These two guys, one of whom is currently trying to lose weight, talk about specific issues, answer questions, etc. They only broadcast every couple of weeks but since I have so many to catch up on, it isn't a problem.
Every Friday evening on the way home I listen to it and it helps motivate me to stay in control over the weekend (or if I do become Frankenfood, it helps me to jump back on the bandwagon right away.) Give them a listen!

Scott said...

Jackie: thank you for the information! I will definitely check out Fat 2 Fit Radio.

Ms. S said...

I totally know all about the "knoshing at parties-attack." But you can eat a lot of summer grillables (lean meat and grilled veggies, yum!) etc. I actually really like summer because it means a lot of my "bad" meals are prepared outdoors on a grill and I can have some control over how they're cooked. also, light beer helps. C: YOU CAN DO IT!