Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ore-Oh No

I splurged on some Oreos when I got home from dinner. Argh, I couldn't resist!

I had a healthy day with food. Low-fat strawberry smoothie from Panera Bread in the morning. Lean Cuisine panini sandwich for lunch. Grilled chicken sandwich for dinner. All was right in the world...until I came home.

I had around 4.5 Weight Watchers points left for the day (I am currently allowed 43 points per day, with 35 extra points per week and activity points earned through exercise). 3 Oreos are 4 points, so I decided to have 3. But 3 turned into more than expected...I think I ended up eating 12 Oreos total, so I ate 16 points worth of Oreos. 12 points over for the day.

Now I know that I'm still not over my allowed points for the week, but past experience has shown me that eating at or below my daily points target results in greater weight loss on my weigh-in day. This goes against everything that Weight Watchers preaches: they tell you to eat at least your points target every day AND some of your weekly and activity points. According to WW, if you follow their suggestions, you will lose weight at a healthy rate. But that can mean weeks where you only lose one-tenth of a pound. I'm not sure that is gonna work for me...I need to lose a consistent 1-2 pounds per week to keep my spirits high. It's not a sprint to the finish line...but I don't want to come in last, either.

Since the Oreo guilt is now upon me, I must get through Sunday without going food nutso. Clearly, I can't be tempted at all by ANYTHING remotely bad for me, so I might have to wear a straitjacket and lock myself in a padded room for a day.

2 comments:

scooping it up said...

random thought: i have very little self control when i know there are treats in the house. so i DO NOT BUY CRAP. i can resist in the store, but when it's home i will eat it. like, the whole freaking box. practice not buying stuff you don't want in your body. no store bought cookies, no soda, even my peanut butter and ketchup have no sugar. it costs a little bit more to buy "natural" foods, but it helped me lose weight after two babies and be thinner than i ever was in college. ps. i eat treats. but i make them myself so i know there is no weird crap that i can't pronounce in it. and i use half whole wheat flour in cookies, etc so i know there isn't a total void of vitamins.

Scott said...

Staci: excellent advice. Currently, I don't think I have any treats in the house. I may have Weight Watchers ice cream in the freezer, but that's it. I really don't snack anymore...because I know that if I start snacking, I can't stop. Luckily, this Oreo mishap happened at Laura's Dad's house, so I haven't had a relapse...yet.